Sunday, November 1, 2015

Halloween was not what I wanted

I love a good costume themed family dressed up on halloween.  So fun! And up until this year my kids didn't have an opinion on what they would dress up as.  They were too little to decide so I decided for them.  It has been fun! This year I wanted the 6 of us to be the pups from paw patrol.


How perfect?! My boys love that cartoon.  There are 5 boy pups and 1 girl pup.  I mean that has Holguin family halloween written all over it! I asked the boys which pup they wanted to be (besides myself being Skye of course and Ryan being Marshall, the firefighter, it only made the most sense.)  They were not on board with this idea.  Vincent and Landen wanted to be Mario and Luigi.  I told them they were already that for halloween.  Of course they were only 1 and they don't remember that.

 
Then Jacob piped in and said he wanted to be Mario too.  And I said two Marios?!  And then Landen laid it all out.  "No, Jacob you can be Yoshi and Cruzie boy can be Toad and then you can be Princess Peach mom!"  And I asked well what about dad?  And Vincent said "He can be Bowser!"  Well there you have it.  Our family costumes, decided by our four year olds.  Not what I wanted but that's okay.

I looked up the cost of costumes online.  Wowzas!! $$$ So I decided to make them.  I started on October 8th.  And I thought I would be all creative and take pictures while I went along.




That didn't last long! I only had 23 days to get all 6 costumes done.  I didn't have time for pictures.

I made all of the costumes (with a little help from my mom) except I cheated a little on my dress.  I bought the dress at the goodwill store and then just added the light pink sleeves and skirt portion.  Definitely saved time! And money! that dress was only $12.

TOAD


I sewed his hat to a beanie.  It fit just snug enough to stay on but not too tight.  He loved having that hat on!  The onesie I was given from a friend and I used the boys AWANA cubbie vest as a template for Toad's vest.  I sewed is pants out of fleece.

YOSHI


I glued the eyes and nose and back part of his head to an old white hat we had.  And I found his green gloves at JoAnns for $1!  The orange is just fleece fabric covering his shoes.  Here's the back view:


And the top of the hat


 MARIO & LUIGI

Landen pointed out to me that Luigi's pants were supposed to be darker than Mario's.  I wasn't about to pay more for an extra color of blue felt so I made them the same shade of blue, sorry kid.




BOWSER

Then there was Bowser.  He took the longest to make so I made Ryan PROMISE he would wear the costume.  I wasn't going to waste all that time and money if he wasn't going to wear it.  He didn't have the best of attitude but he did keep in on all night!


My nephew Ethan pretending that the ninja is beating Bowser up.

PEACH

And my dress like I said I bought from the Goodwill and then I made my crown out of glitter foam paper.


And Landen again pointed out that my white haired wig was the wrong color and that Princess Peach's hair is supposed to be yellow.  I didn't realize he was so detail oriented!







We had a fun night!  My parents came over for a pizza dinner and my dad brought his old mask from years ago.  Cruz didn't mind wearing it but he did not like it when my dad had it on.



My nephew stopped by for some pictures.  Ninja Ethan






We went by the church harvest festival for a short while.  Ryan was so hot in his costume. Poor guy.



Then we headed out trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.  It was fun seeing the neighbors.  And they all loved our themed family costumes.




Toad mainly rode in the wagon the whole time


It was not the halloween theme I wanted but I had a fun night with my Mario and Luigi and gang


I can't believe October is over.  We had fun at school carnivals


And the pumpkin patch




 Carving pumpkins and roasting the seeds.


The boys know November means Thanksgiving! I'm looking forward to the turkey crafts and celebrations with my 4 little turkeys this month.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Heidi! These costumes are AMAZING!! I can hardly believe you sewed them! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete