Sunday, March 4, 2012

Remembering Karissa


Today would be a year to the day that we buried our sweet daughter Karissa Marie.  She is always on our minds and will be forever in our hearts.  We don't go to her grave too often because we know she is not really there.  But I do think it helps ease the mind and heal the soul.
I never got to look into her eyes, and honestly, for that I am grateful. When I visit her grave I glance around at all the other babies buried there. She has a neighbor named Karissa, that one always makes me smile. There's a few babies around her grave who lived 3 days, a week, even 2 months.  As a mother, I can't imagine what it would be like to watch your baby suffer only to loose them a short while later.  So through the pain I still feel with the loss of my little girl, I am thankful. Thankful she was born sleeping.  Thankful she passed peacefully within me.  The images I have in my mind of her, are not from the day she was born, or the day we buried her, but of the ultrasounds I saw of her sucking her thumb and moving her mouth. She was. She lived. And we are so looking forward to seeing her again. February 23rd will always be a bittersweet day for me. But I know with time, hearts heal. And there is great comfort in knowing there is a God who loves us as his very own children and has a place waiting for us. A place Karissa already is.


2 comments:

  1. Heidi-thanks for sharing your heart. The pictures are precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Britton! I enjoy reading your blog too. I think there is always something to be grateful for even in the midst of struggles and sadness. Always praying for you.

      Delete